Does anyone still read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone still read?

I read quite a lot, helps immensely that I only have one TV in the house, three kids an a wife, so there is only so many times I can watch mako mermaids and my little ponies

when the wee man is ages, you better believe ill be into the turtles and power rangers and I am excited to see whats new in boys TV but for now I read.

started a book on Saturday called "surviving the evacuation book 1 -London" by Frank Teyell.
    its a zombie book. the first Zombie book I have ever read (unless you count Peter.f.Hamiltons dark matter series which is kinda space zombies) and I must admit im really enjoying it.

the author has nailed the style I was going for in my ill advised book, so its funny and intelligent (very much unlike my attempt) sort of reminds me on the martian (the book not the film) which is a good thing.

Anyway, are you reading and if so what??
    Just because this is the way it is, doesnt mean its the way it has to be!!

I read every night for an hour or so before bed. Currently revisiting Men at Arms by Pratchett. Half way through the Game of Thrones series and I'll be reading Lord of the Rings again, I've read it just about every year for the past 20 years!

Comment

I got myself a kindle last year before I went into hospital. Though ive not really used it a lot. Never seem to find any time to read. I have a bunch of books to read on it tho. Ive made a start on reading a Dean Koontz novel - one in the "odd Thomas" series. Enjoying what ive read but still little time.

I have however been listening to a lot of ebooks lately - these are more accessible for me as I can listen when going to and from work. Im currently listening to The Silkworm by Robert Gilbrath - which is the second in his Cormoran Strike detective series. Quie liking it so far. (Well I liked the first enough to want to listen to another so).

Before that I was listening to Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez which was pretty good. Its very lighthearted but deffo worth a look (listen whatever)

Comment

read at work when im on day shift. just started reading the harry potter series

Comment

im slowly working my way through the HP Lovecraft collection i bought last year on kindle, really love the old kindle for collections as i have discovered some great authors like matt shaw and others who write those extreme graphic short stories, plus those free classics i have never read. I also have the exorcist and a couple more stephen king books lined up.

Comment

I only tend to read on holiday (unless you count comics which I read more often). I recently finished the wheel of time series after about 7 years of holidays, absolutely loved and I'm very excited about the to series which is supposedly on its way. I also recently read the fourth book in the millennium series. It's the first not by stig Larson and was okay but not as good as the original trilogy. I also quite like the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connely, which Amazon have made into a to series. If you have an ereader check out bub book it's a website that sends out daily alerts for free and discounted books

Comment

Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. It's a sci fi book. The first in the Expanse series. It's been adapted for a TV series which is getting good reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by casey View Post
                Leviathan Wakes by James Corey. It's a sci fi book. The first in the Expanse series. It's been adapted for a TV series which is getting good reviews.

Expanse is a very good TV show, season 2 is out soon
                “The thinker knows...”

Comment

i normaly read on my lunch break, only real time i get without distractions, currently reading simon kernick's 'the business of dying' he writes in the first person and all of his books i've read have been very easy going which is great for me as i'm a very slow reader
                  “The thinker knows...”

Comment

Originally posted by u1traviolet View Post
                    Slightly off topic but do you know where I can watch this. It's not on Netflix etc. As far as I know.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

i normaly read on my lunch break, only real time i get without distractions, currently reading simon kernick's 'the business of dying' he writes in the first person and all of his books i've read have been very easy going which is great for me as i'm a very slow reader
                      been noticing a trend of first person narratives lately, hunger games, martian and the zombie books im reading. its odd as when I started research for mine, the first rule I found was don't write in first person lol but maybe that's just for the amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by casey View Post

I actually have this on my ipad but haven't read much of it, might dip back in after this series but tis seven books long.

Anyone ever read harry turtledove world war series? or is anyone as lame as me and reads star trek novels?

Comment

it was on SyFy in the states, its not available on DVD/Blu-ray unless you you have a multi-region player as it's out only in the states (thats region 1, the UK is region 2)

but, it is available to watch in the UK just not through official channels, if you know what I mean
                          “The thinker knows...”

Comment

I do like to read when I get the chance, I am currently reading The Betrayer by Kimberley Chambers. I also like to read Martina Cole. About once every 2 years I re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien and in my opinion they are the best books ever written. In the past I have read all the Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot books by Agatha Christie. Also read the complete Redwall series of books by Brian Jacques.

Comment

Originally posted by PIL0T PEDR0 View Post
                              I do like to read when I get the chance, I am currently reading The Betrayer by Kimberley Chambers. I also like to read Martina Cole. About once every 2 years I re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien and in my opinion they are the best books ever written. In the past I have read all the Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot books by Agatha Christie. Also read the complete Redwall series of books by Brian Jacques.
                              I could maybe go another round of Tolkien actually, I don't have them on my ipad and the books will long since have been lost unless the kids have em which I doubt.

it a good example of how even when the film is great, the book is invariably better.

Comment

Working...
                              X