News

SMF - Just Installed!

History

Spacedeck · 4142

Spacedeck

• View Profile
on: May 16, 2020, 12:37:59 PM
Is there any specific time in history that peaks your interests? It could be Jurassic period, Ancient Egypt, World Wars. We've had a lot of history over the years and I'm sure you will find some of it interesting, so which is it?

For myself, as much as I'm interested in World War 2, my main interest would have to lie with the Roman times.  I'm not all that well educated about these times though but I'm always willing to learn something new.  I'm currently reading a book written by Mary Beard called 'SPQR'.  It's covering some of the early Roman times at the start of the book and already provided me with some names I would like to research more, like Marcus Tullius Cicero and Lucius Sergius Catilina.

And as a gamer, it wouldn't be right without delving into the vast amount of games available on a specific subject. Whether it's accurate or not doesn't really matter, it's the theme that counts  ;D so one of the series I enjoy playing is ROME: Total War.

UltraViolet

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 14:58:41 PM
can it be someone else's history and not ours? say the entities around about 13.9 billion years ago just before the creation of our universe and what they saw; how interesting would that be!

i might be missing point of your post, sorry :-)

in video games i normally go for a futuristic setting not historic, mainly because there's more firepower in the future :-)

i do love the Edwardian aesthetic though

Spacedeck

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 15:25:28 PM
can it be someone else's history and not ours? say the entities around about 13.9 billion years ago just before the creation of our universe and what they saw; how interesting would that be!

Haha, if any entities existed before the creation of our universe! Although, I feel like the entire subject of space and our existence can warrant a thread on its own  :).  Personally I like the idea that our universe is like a bubble in a massive sea of other bubbles containing many many more universes.

The mention of ROME: Total War was more to do with the setting.  History as in something that has played out on Earth in the past.  Many things in history has defined who we are today and how we live our lives.

Is that the clothing? What types do you like? I've never really looked into this.

zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:20:53 AM
I’m in to the medieval Periods of our history. I love reading about the battles and the constant rumblings within royal families and so on.

UltraViolet

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 01:57:50 AM

Is that the clothing? What types do you like? I've never really looked into this.

more into the architecture of that period

daddyduche

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 12:22:13 PM
Great subject

Around the 1500's when Ferdinand Magellan, Vasco Da Gama, Amerigo Vespucci, Christopher Columbus and Ferdinand Magellan to name but a few were the great explorers discovering the new worlds.

Even later in history with likes of Captain James Cook, David Livingstone and Charles Darwin, just fascinated by exploration and never too old to explore.

zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 00:59:35 AM
Anyone interested in WW1?

daddyduche

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 10:10:10 AM
Anyone interested in WW1?

Have been playing Battlefield 1 if that counts  ;D

Gorillachops

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 16:32:27 PM
I used to spend quite a bit of money on History Books of all periods, but at the moment I‘’m sustaining my History habit with Podcasts

Up to now I have listened to / am listening to

The History of Rome (Mike Duncan)

The History of England (David Crowther)

The History of English (Kevin Stroud)

China History Podcast (Lazlo Montgomery)

Revolutions (Mike Duncan)

The first few episodes of each were a bit Blahhhhh, but once the podcaster got into the “right  rhythm“ they were/are surprisingly easy to listen to

Especially the History of England. He uses a light hearted approach to get what should be mind numbing facts across

~GC~